The toys you got for your children on Christmas may cause them hearing problems. Those police car toys and rubber duckies can give off sounds of 90 decibels (dB). That’s as loud as a lawnmower. Noise at this level is painful and can result in permanent hearing loss in your children.
Doctors are seeing a number increase of children with hearing loss. The American Medical Association say almost 15-percent of children are showing signs of a hearing problem. If you are concerned about your children’s hearing, have their hearing checked by your local audiologist.
2012 Ten Noisiest Toys
1. Disney Pixar Toy Story Talking Buzz Lightyear – 111 dB
2. Nickleodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Leonardo’s Electronic Sword – 109.2 dB
3. Dora the Explorer/Dora’s Desert Friends – 108.2 dB
4. Barbie Little Learner Laptop – 108 dB
5. Playskool/123 Sesame Street Let’s Rock Grover Microphone – 107.3 dB
6. B. Woofer (Guitar) – 106.5 dB
7. Matchbox/Power Shift Fire Truck – 105.7 dB
8. Playskool/Rock-tivity Jump n’ Jam Guitar – 105.1 dB
9. Fisher-Price/Disney Pixar Cars Shake ‘n Go!El Materdor – 105 dB
10. Twister Dance – 104.6 dB
Tip: Next time you’re shopping for a new toy, listen to it, and if the toy sounds too loud, don’t buy it. At home check the toys your children already have, and remove the batteries or discard the toy if they are too loud. Alternatively, you can place a duct tape over the speakers on noisy toys.
If you are a parent reading this, it is very important to protect your children’s hearing now!